distillery was founded in Aberlour
as Cardow distillery in 1824 by John Cumming, although rumour
and folklore sy that he started illicit distilling earlier in
Cardow remained within the Cumming family (being owned by
John, then Lewis, then Elizabeth) until 1893 when it was
purchased by John Walker & Sons.
Elizabeth Cumming had built a new distillery on neighbouring
land in 1872 and then extended it further in 1887 prior to the
sale in 1893.
1898 the name was changed to Cardhu, but then changed back
again to Cardow in 1908.