1858 Hiram Walker founded his distillery in Windsor,
Ontario. He also began to develop and finance the town of
Walkerville, a community from where he sourced the majority of
whisky was originally called Walker's "Club Whisky" and was
positioned as a premium one with a reputation for its smoothness
and also its age which was a minimum of 5 years in oak barrels.
Most of his competitors at that time were offering whisky at
less than one year old.
was added to the label in 1889 and then incorporated into
the name in 1890.